Hairdressers cut, colour and shape clients' hair to create the look they want.
- Greeting customers
- Shampooing and conditioning, cutting and styling, colouring, perming or straightening customer’s hair
- Making sure towels and supplies are ready for use
- Keeping the salon clean and tidy
- Advising on minor hair and scalp problems
- Making appointments and handling money
- Good practical skills
- Customer service and people skills
- An understanding and tactful approach
- An awareness of fashion
- Willingness to learn new techniques and methods
- An awareness of health and safety
Qualifications & Training
You can train to become a hairdresser either full-time or part-time at a college. Alternatively, you can start work as a trainee in a salon and learn on the job. Whichever option you choose, there are several qualifications you can take.
£14,000 - £20,000