A Barista knows all things Coffee. You will serve customers a wide range of hot beverages whilst ensuring the area is clear and there’s a good atmosphere.
- Advising customers about the beverages in the coffee shop
- Taking customers’ orders
- Preparing their order with the correct ingredients
- Checking the coffee machines regularly throughout the day
- Keeping the machine and work area clean
- Stock replenishment
- Clear tables
- Keeping shop tidy and displays presentable
- Customer service
- Preparation skills
- Work well under pressure
- Ability to work in a busy environment
- Enjoy working with people
- Previous experience an advantage
Qualifications and Training
You don’t need any particular qualifications or training to begin your career as a Barista. However, if you tend to progress further you may want to consider various food preparation and food hygiene certificate and qualifications.
A Barista can expect to start earning between £10,050 and £13,500 a year, with experience this could raise to £15,000
Salary rates vary depending upon your experience, as well as the company. These figures are only intended as a guide.*
The bonus bits…
Most companies will supply you with your own uniform.
*Figures supplied by the National Careers Service November 2013