Chef de Rang / Team Leader
Commonly known as Assistant Head Waiter, they are usually found in upscale restaurants and are in charge of ensuring diners having pleasant dining experience.
- To organise and co-ordinate tasks together with your team
- Arrange the tables
- Welcome and serve the guests
- Clear the tables
- Supervise the quality of the services offered to customers
- Train and motivate the dining room assistants and apprentices
- To look after customer billing and tills
- The ability to ensure efficient, high quality service with apparent ease and assurance
- Attention to detail
- Team working
- Experience with sales
- Communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Team leadership
- Knowledge of wine and foods is considered a bonus by employers!
Qualifications and Training
A hotel and catering diploma is often required for this position, although people with at least one to two years’ experience in a fine dining environment may be considered for the position. You will need to have proven customer service skills developed at former positions.
A Chef de Rang can expect to earn anywhere between £17,000 and £21,000 a year with an average of £19,000.
Salary rates vary depending upon your experience, as well as the company. These figures are only intended as a guide.*
The bonus bits…
You will likely be working in more upscale establishments – you’ll be exposed to the finer things and who knows who you may meet!
*Figures from caterer.com October 2013