A necessity in every kitchen; a General Assistant can be responsible for basic food preparation, cleaning areas and equipment, and even customer service. Your duties will be determined by where your supervisor assigns you and could be front or back of house
- To assist in the provision of excellent catering services for all customers
- Assist with customer service, food preparation, lying out of service counters, serving food, cleaning dining areas, handling cash sales, stock-taking and preparing and delivery hospitality trays
- Assist in cleaning of equipment, kitchen and service areas and to comply with all company hygiene, health and safety regulations
- You may be involved in basic food preparation
- Willing and helpful attitude and to seek appropriate knowledge of all food items sold
- Basic knowledge of hygiene, health and safety
- Customer service experience
- Suitable communication skills
Qualifications and Training
You don’t need any particular qualifications or training to begin your career as a General Assistant. However, if you tend to progress further you may want to consider various food preparation and food hygiene certificate and qualifications.
A General Assistant can expect to earn between £11,500 and £15,288 a year.
Salary rates vary depending upon your experience, as well as the company. These figures are only intended as a guide.*
The bonus bits…
- Seasonal and part-time work is readily available
- Most companies will supply you with your own uniform.
- With on-the-job qualifications and experience you have the opportunities to work yourself up the career ladder to Chef or Management
* Figures supplied by ISS October 2013